Plymouth Township is located in Western Wayne County, Michigan, approximately 18 miles Northeast of Ann Arbor. Plymouth was settled in 1824 and became a Township on April 12, 1827 by a legislative act of then Governor Cass. The first meeting of the Plymouth Township Board was conducted on May 25, 1827 at the home of John Tibbits. Judge Witherell of Detroit came to the Township to administer the Oath of Office to the first elected officials.
Plymouth later became a Charter Township on April 19, 1977, which allowed for greater protection from annexation attempts and improved taxing controls. As a Charter Township, Plymouth is governed by a seven member Board of Trustees. The board consists of three top-elected officials and four part time trustees. The top elected officials include the Township Supervisor, Clerk and Treasurer.
The Board of Trustees generally meets twice per month to conduct business. The board sets government policy, determines types and levels of service to be provided and approves all expenditures of Township funds. The Board is also responsible for establishing ordinances and approving the annual municipal budget.